I am left with no choice but than to hide vegetables in places that they would never suspect.
This dessert is one of those hiding places. I originally intended to make zucchini bread, but as I was getting ready to mix it up, I realized that I had taken a 1 cup package of zucchini from the freezer... my bread requires 2 cups, so I decided to make bars.
These are not dense, and have more of a cake-like texture. The browned butter frosting is absolutely sinful, and my taste testers say that this is a new favorite.
1 C finely shredded zucchini
2 eggs, room temperature
1 C sugar
1/2 C Extra light olive oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla
2/3 C (93 g.) All-purpose gluten free flour blend
1/3 C (42 g) sweet sorghum flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat your oven to 350*F and grease a 9x13 pan
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
2. Beat together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and mix well.
3.Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until smooth.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
2-3 C powdered sugar
2-3 TBLS heavy cream (or milk)
1. Brown your butter while bars are baking. If you have never browned butter, here is an excellent tutorial.
2.Add the cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar and cream, alternating between the two, until you reach your desired consistency. Beat until smooth.
3. Frost the bars and try to wait for them to cool before cutting.
I frosted my bars while they were still warm, and there was a big corner missing before I was finished washing dishes.
I really need to catch that mouse ;)